Fred

DevBlog - Porting New Z to 64-bit

4 minutes ago, Iwio said:

Yo this is really awesome! Will it fix the bug where you crash when sliding down a mountain too? 

You mean getting kicked from a server?

9 hours ago, Fred said:

Hello everybody!

During the past weeks I have been very busy porting over the entirety of NewZ to the x64 platform, and here is a little devblog explaining why.  (For those of you who don't know, NewZ is currently only available in the x86 (32-bit) architecture)

x64 Bit Advantages

A 32-bit program has many limiting factors, including the 2 GB Ram usage limit. (i know i know, techinally 4GB...), Thus, porting it to x64 brings many advantages! Here are some:

• The ability to use more memory
    • This will also allow us to use higher quality textures and models as we will not be limited on memory anymore.
  • Huge improvement on client stability
    • Not having such a low memory usage limit really improves the stability, especially considering the game always needed more memory than It could use.
      • Those of you who are more technical, already know how memory fragmentation in a 32bit memory space is a issue
    • Having the code aligned differently, has revealed many bugs in the game code that have been causing crashes.
      • Remember the crash when you get into a car?, or the crash when loading a map? These and many more issues have been fixed!
  • Performance increase
    • Due to optimizations on the x64 instruction set, most programs can typically see a 5-20% improvement in performance.

The list goes on, but I am not going to go in depth in all of the technical details here!

What does this mean for the average player?

The game will run a lot smoother, a lot more stable (meaning it will crash less) and depending on your computer, you might also receive a decent performance boost! On top of that, we as the developers will be able to improve much of the graphics, and provide with content that looks awesome!

Hey, that sounds AWESOME! How do i use the 64 bit client?

Right now, x64 has just finished it's initial development, and as with every feature, things can be broken in the initial stages! But as early as next update, players will be able to choose the 64 bit game client in the game launcher:

Launcher.png

After the launcher has finished downloading an update and all files are verified, it will show a new selector where you can switch to your desired architecture:

Switch.png

Pressing play will launch the selected one:

x64.png

During the beta-testing of the x64 bit client, you will need select 64-bit every time you launch your game. Once we are sure that everything is working smoothly, we will make the 64-bit the default option, but don't worry, if for any reason you would need to use the 32-bit client, the option will remain there.

You can also start your launcher with the 64-bit option enabled by default  when starting it with the "-x64" command line (either by changing a shortcut or changing the steam startup command line).

Will I be able to play on the same servers as people playing on a different version?

Yes, both clients have been setup in a way that makes this possible, so pick and choose whichever version you want!

Anything about this lag to win problem? Would be really really really good if you lag your shots dnt register unless its obvious and if you shoot a lagger your shots actually register 

1 minute ago, Iwio said:

Yes, will it get fixed?

I was not aware that the issue still existed, when did you test this last time? What map and gamemode? Where in the map? Perhaps I can look into it

1 minute ago, Fred said:

I was not aware that the issue still existed, when did you test this last time? What map and gamemode? Where in the map? Perhaps I can look into it

Maybe two weeks ago (I have not tried it since then but it's probably still an issue). Whenever taking a hike around pretty much any mountain on Colorado (open world) the server would kick either me or my friend. It mostly occurs when sliding down a large mountain. 

Just now, Iwio said:

Maybe two weeks ago (I have not tried it since then but it's probably still an issue). Whenever taking a hike around pretty much any mountain on Colorado (open world) the server would kick either me or my friend. It mostly occurs when sliding down a large mountain. 

Okay i will look into it and have it fixed!

* Nice work Fred!  and I know that was not an overnight job for sure. 

For you just don't go from 32bit to 64bit programming in a day people. This took him some time I assure you that.

* So far so good! I am still testing it still. Seems to be more stable now. indeed. nice!

Found a minor issue:

Tried to open the Task Manager while I was playing to check how much RAM the games adresses now.

The Game stops working with an error: "unable to reset d3d device, 0x8876086C

Playing in windows mode.

If you need further information please let me know.

I was recently banned from the New Z servers for cheating and exploiting. Ive done no such thing. I dont know where this comes from or what happened, bit it wasnt me. Can you or someone please help? Love the game!