3lias

GIVEAWAY of Nether: The Untold Chapter!

You really think a paywall will be healthy for the game? I highly doubt that. 

The f2p argument might have been the single biggest (and sometimes even only) reason to start and re-start playing.

But who am I to judnge. I mean NewZ is also running well despite my constant criticism ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We haven't found a realistic way to monetize it without changeing the atmosphere of the game, maybe you have some ideas?

Best,

Elias

I have not played the game myself, but I have talked to people that did and I have done some research on the game and it`s history. Ultimately I would say that it toally depends on the finished product and your skill, ressources and intention to maintain the game. The general consensus is though, that an initial paywall (and charging money for a game is exactly that) is pretty much the most harmful thing when it comes to gaining or regaining players. It requires potential players to have some trust in you and your product. It involves a risk of "loosing" money if the game sucks and you dont want to continue playing.  if the game is dope, it won`t matter, because players will come in after the initial offering and after there was a lot of amazing feedback. But is your product this good?

• You obviously evaluated the cosmetics option. And you are also 100% right that the chrome armor fallen angel or a banana suit are not a thematic fit in a game that priroritizes the survival aspect and is also played mostly by first world consumers that actually demand more quality that the NewZ playerbase from Thailand, Russia, Brazil and so on (sounds racist, but i have actually read scientific papers about that) Skins can still be a viable option, it just requires a freakin dope ass designer that has the skills to provide quality skins with a schematic fit. Different character models would definitely work imo
  • Another way of monetarisazion is some sort of ingame shop. Surely survival does not really go well with the concept of pay to win. The inflation will devalue items and a key aspect of the game is the struggle for survival itself. But there are still ways to make it work. I can see things like XP bonuses if there is a skill tree, weekly or daily rewards for premium subscriptions like in NewZ, maybe a purchasable "starter kit" to give your loot run the kick start it needs.  Of couse this is only icing on the cake and won`t earn you as much as if all players had to get behind a paywall, but this is sort of a long term investment. 100 people paying for the game is the same as 1000 people paying for little bonuses. 
  • If you dont think the above are realistic or enough, i would still recommend to start out with the game as f2p. You need to reach out for the old playerbase and give them a chance to come back. I can see some sort of trial phase where the first two weeks after launch are free to play or maybe make it so you can create an account and you can play for free until the first death so people can at least get into the game. If you have already played, if you already killed your first guy or grabbed a decent chunk of loot, you surely want to continue. That way its more likely for players to actually pay for the game.

Ultimately it will come down to what you guys deliver anyways. A good game will succeed and a bad game will fail. Its just about probability and giving the whole thing a kickstart. I am absolutely sure that NewZ only lived for this long because of the initial kickstart in combination with a decent anti cheat. had you made NewZ accounts cost money, even just 3-5€, most of use would have never come back. Regardless of what you guys had to offer. This is ESPECIALLY harsh because Nether already had a relaunch with a paywall and a lot of people already made the mistake, already put their trust into somebody and got burned. You need to reach out for those and gain their trust by making the first step, by inviting them back in.

By the way how is the marketing going? Is there a hype? Of course I dont expect you to pay for a freaking TV commercial, but have you talked to influencers, streamers, yourtubers, basically guys that once played the game and might come back at least for a little stay?
I guess there is quite a few of them out htere just like this guy:

We can talk further on discord if you want to :)

Cheers

hcuaL

Edited by Lauchboy

On 5/6/2019 at 3:27 PM, Lauchboy said:

You really think a paywall will be healthy for the game? I highly doubt that. 

The f2p argument might have been the single biggest (and sometimes even only) reason to start and re-start playing.

But who am I to judnge. I mean NewZ is also running well despite my constant criticism ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

To be honest I have limited if any history with the drama and controversy with past Nether titles. But given what I know about the current staff team and their history of supporting their work years after release I don't mind paying an admittedly low game price of $15 especially since developers are feeling more and more comfortable asking 80, 90, or even more for unfinished titles at the AAA level or even indie titles. Development costs are obviously a concern, and money will be needed eventually to continue work on the title.

Bottom line is people will be turned away at the asking price especially since they have payed for the game in the past, sometimes more then once. But I am sure people will give it a chance when they see constant improvements to the game, and the heavy engagement with the community that Fred, Elias, Sven, and Silent are giving before the game is even released. (I'm sure a free-to-play weekend event would be possible, to entice skeptics to at least give the game another shot. If they like it they have a reason to spend the $15 and if they don't perhaps they are willing to offer feedback or suggestions.)

6 hours ago, Vintorez said:

To be honest I have limited if any history with the drama and controversy with past Nether titles. But given what I know about the current staff team and their history of supporting their work years after release I don't mind paying an admittedly low game price of $15 especially since developers are feeling more and more comfortable asking 80, 90, or even more for unfinished titles at the AAA level or even indie titles. Development costs are obviously a concern, and money will be needed eventually to continue work on the title.

Bottom line is people will be turned away at the asking price especially since they have payed for the game in the past, sometimes more then once. But I am sure people will give it a chance when they see constant improvements to the game, and the heavy engagement with the community that Fred, Elias, Sven, and Silent are giving before the game is even released. (I'm sure a free-to-play weekend event would be possible, to entice skeptics to at least give the game another shot. If they like it they have a reason to spend the $15 and if they don't perhaps they are willing to offer feedback or suggestions.)

You really can`t compare the 90$ titles like Borderlands or Red Dead Redemption to something like newZ. You can never win that comparison ever.  Those are tripple to quadra digit production teams of experienced professionals that  follow a plan, schedule and create a PIECE OF ART. Also keep in mind that building a new game from ground up is a whole other story than "recycling" an existing one by changing a few things on the surface without going into too much detail. Thats like saying a cheeseburger is worth 20$ because somewhere out there somebody is paying 50$ for a steak. 

The massive psychological barrier behind charging for something before the actual use  is scientifically proven. You can look that up. Maybe you are willing to pay the 15$, but you are about as close to the devs as it gets and have a long history with the game and the company. It is about the average player, the masses that have no relation to you or the ones that only know Fredaikis` rather bad image in the games scene. (Please don`t try to negate that.... we are not in the elite circles by any means and this is ok).

I have not seen the game and the changes made, but I try to judge based on what was done for NewZ since it`s start. I am pretty sure thats not worth the 15$ to most people even though thats the collective work of years. And once again the key to success is a big playerbase. The heavy payers and hardcore users will come with the masses anyways. And a launch that motivates as many people as possible to play is the single most important factor here. If you can generate twice as many players after week one, by rule of thumb the life time of the game will be roughly twice as long and vide versa if you only get half of the players involved.

I don`t want to annoy anybody with my comments, I just fear that all your effort could be a waste just like if was with other things before (... cough cough... Oregon . cough cough.... Competitive..) It is true that I did not like the move in general. Fredaikis' ressources are about as limited as they can get. I always tried to convince myself whenever a bug appears that you guys are doing your best and working as much as you can. Adding another GAME without any significant addition in terms of personell will only lead to one of the following solutions for me

•  You have to split effort between both games and NewZ as well as Nether will suffer. In an official statement it was said that NewZ won't be left behind, but we will see in a few weeks
  • You can continue to work about the same hours on NewZ while adding a few hours a week for Nether. This would mean you didn't even try your best the last few years and make me sad as well.

1 hour ago, Lauchboy said:

You really can`t compare the 90$ titles like Borderlands or Red Dead Redemption to something like newZ. You can never win that comparison ever.  Those are tripple to quadra digit production teams of experienced professionals that  follow a plan, schedule and create a PIECE OF ART. Also keep in mind that building a new game from ground up is a whole other story than "recycling" an existing one by changing a few things on the surface without going into too much detail. Thats like saying a cheeseburger is worth 20$ because somewhere out there somebody is paying 50$ for a steak. 

The massive psychological barrier behind charging for something before the actual use  is scientifically proven. You can look that up. Maybe you are willing to pay the 15$, but you are about as close to the devs as it gets and have a long history with the game and the company. It is about the average player, the masses that have no relation to you or the ones that only know Fredaikis` rather bad image in the games scene. (Please don`t try to negate that.... we are not in the elite circles by any means and this is ok).

I have not seen the game and the changes made, but I try to judge based on what was done for NewZ since it`s start. I am pretty sure thats not worth the 15$ to most people even though thats the collective work of years. And once again the key to success is a big playerbase. The heavy payers and hardcore users will come with the masses anyways. And a launch that motivates as many people as possible to play is the single most important factor here. If you can generate twice as many players after week one, by rule of thumb the life time of the game will be roughly twice as long and vide versa if you only get half of the players involved.

I don`t want to annoy anybody with my comments, I just fear that all your effort could be a waste just like if was with other things before (... cough cough... Oregon . cough cough.... Competitive..) It is true that I did not like the move in general. Fredaikis' ressources are about as limited as they can get. I always tried to convince myself whenever a bug appears that you guys are doing your best and working as much as you can. Adding another GAME without any significant addition in terms of personell will only lead to one of the following solutions for me

•  You have to split effort between both games and NewZ as well as Nether will suffer. In an official statement it was said that NewZ won't be left behind, but we will see in a few weeks
  • You can continue to work about the same hours on NewZ while adding a few hours a week for Nether. This would mean you didn't even try your best the last few years and make me sad as well.

I shouldn't type my thoughts out when I am just waking up, the 70, 80, 90 argument didn't make too much sense at all. In simple terms I personally don't mind the asking price of $15 as I have faith they have done enough meaningful work on the game and with the promise of future support and new content. The asking price might alienate players, which is very reasonable given the questionable at best history of past studios and their decision making. In terms of a strong release I agree it is very important, in this case their work will have to sway player opinion towards their corner. But your concerns are all valid, time will tell as with many things. Like I said I am optimistic and I am excited to see what has been done to the game, and I think a F2P weekend or even week with a potential discount to anyone who participated in said event would be tremendously beneficial to the game. Because ideally the game releases, hardcore or straight up new players pay the $15 to experience everything immediately and some time in the game's near future the F2P event rolls out, and if returning or skeptical players like what they see they would be given an easier to swallow pill of maybe a 25-50% off the original price to contribute to a healthy player-base.

My thoughts are everywhere today it seems, bottom line I am optimistic and can't wait to see the released product. Hopefully many others will be looking, and then make their judgement on whether the price is reasonable or not. :)

• Thanks 1

I'm a Nether veteran. Played this game from its release to its very end. And when I say very end, I mean it. I was probably one of the last 5 people who would log to the game every day before I quit. 

This was a unique game and there has been so far no game like it in the post-apocalyptic genre. Two big things killed this game: 1) No anticheat and hackers in every room. 2) Failed tactics to generate money for the game. 

I remember every little glitch, every hack that ever existed, every macro, every medkit dupe. I also remember how the unifinished map of the Wasteland and city made a lot of people frustrated.

I could write more and share more of my thoughts and ideas if needed. And might still do when I wake up. But this was a favorite game. The atmosphere of Nether is unlike anything else. A true post-apocalyptic experience. But game lacked a lot in so many areas. For example, what was the point of PVE servers if you could do nothing in it except kill Nether rinse repeat? And the open servers were all about KOS where it was impossible for players to run their packages. The Wasteland was such an empty world it was impossible to enjoy missions when people were getting KOSed. The world of NewZ for example offers enough cover and structure that people could be playing for hours in Open Channels without getting shot once.

If anyone here played it, I went by DrSilk  (Doctor clan later on known as High Society) and we were an advanced group of pvp players. We stayed until the very end.

I just learned the news that you guys took this game under your wing and I can't help but smile while feeling overwhelmed by nostalgia. You saved Newz, and you're about to save my other favorite game.

PS: Game was sold for about 15 dollars at the time. Price was reasonable. But the company made 0 profit from the ingame shop. EARLIER, there was literally nothing that you could buy with real money so the company could profit. And nobody really cared to buy Golden Keys to open trashcans that contained no real value. As a spender, I would always prefer if a favorite game of mine had a working shop for not only ingame money, but stuff to buy with real money too, things that are worth it. Who doesn't spend money if they can to see their favorite game progress?

I'd like to help in any way for free if you guys are accepting players to help. I don't have access to this Nether version yet but I'll be a buyer.

Edited by V A C A N C Y
More info

On 5/7/2019 at 5:41 PM, Fannti said:

We haven't found a realistic way to monetize it without changeing the atmosphere of the game, maybe you have some ideas?

Best,

Elias

I made a post a few hours earlier but it disapeared. Anyway I don t know your work on New Z but judging by the fans you guys did a good job on it. I've been playing Nether at the beginning of it and loved it so much... You just can't count on your reputation to get the fans comeback and pay (again, like me) 15 dollars for a game dead twice without a real change of it (anticheat and optimisation won t be enough...). There s a lot to say on the game itself... about making money so it can be viable for u guys I hardly trust your answer I quote, sorry.

Cs : go is a perfect example of a way to earn money without turning in pay to win. It s mostly about skins...

The hunter : call of the wild is interresting too. Same game but different maps you can choose to buy or not at a reasonable price.

You could also do somekind of crowdfunding during a short period (or an infinite perdiod...). I mean something like the game is free for all in it s current non finished version but for those who believe (or like me want to believe) in it, pay an amount and be rewarded for it (15 dollars to get updates 1 week before others, 30 dollars to be able to name a tribe, 50 for a Nether T shirt etc.)

Also I was thiking of optional game mods : 

- pay to participate to a contest/treasure hunt

- pay to be able to use graffitis (like in cs) and the more of your grafiti is on the map (on special areas) make you the dominator. (And you can pay to have a grafiti with your name etc.)

There are so many ways to make money, of course I m not in the game business and I can only guess but come on !  I think there s not only Game to pay and Free to play. I m sure you can also hire some fans to help that won t even ask for money ! The atmosphere of Nether is awsome but let s face the truth, it was only a newborn early access beautiful baby with just a few game mechanics AND a loooot of potential. Make it your own game, don t just bring back from the dead a far from finished game. Be a remarquable studio, the one who finally succed in making the awsome game it should have been. Enter videogame history  ; )