Sven

DevBlog - Competitive Alpha

18 posts in this topic

Dear Community,

Here we are.. A developer blog about the new Competitive game mode but this time with an actual gameplay video and screenshots to show you. A lot has happened and for now all we want to reach with this Developer Blog is to show you guys what the development of the game mode has come to. Please keep in mind that this does NOT mean that this is the only thing we have been working on. Please understand this.

Now, as you might have read in the previous patch notes (patch 2.26) is that the Competitive gamemode is finally being shaped. I would say at this point that we are very far from a point where we want to start opening it for players. A mistake we have made in the past with features and game modes was an early release so we definitely do not want to make the same mistake with Competitive. I am not going in details regarding the process. I think an explanation is in place but not on this thread. (for now)

Yesterday we actually live streamed gameplay of Competitive gamemode for the second time. Fred has done a short stream earlier but that was on a different map. In this live stream we have gathered 10 people in total from the chat and from our staff team, and played some Competitive games. You can watch back parts of that below:

You can get a good feeling of how the gamemode is going to be by watching the video that I made. Now, for those wondering I'd like to give a short explanation of how the game mode is planned to be for now:

GAMEPLAY:
The gameplay of the Competitive gamemode will be relatively simple. The point is to win the round. The team that wins a certain amount of rounds, wins the game. It has not been decided yet how many rounds it will be, it has also not yet been decided how big both of the teams will be but in our testing we are using the classic 5 versus 5. There is a currency. There will be starting cash, and for winning or losing a round  players in the teams will receive money. You will also receive money upon killing an enemy player. To win a round a team has to either kill the entire enemy team OR take over the objective in the middle of the map. (usually)

THE POINT:
Besides being a very fun and unique experience the whole point of this gamemode is to offer New Z gameplay in a competitive scene. We will use the existing ranking system. Players will have a skill level and a rank, and by winning matches they will get higher and higher in ranking. In the end we might make it season-based, but the whole point will be to reach the highest rank possible!

SIDE POINTS:
Everything below is what we will follow but not nothing is 100% decided and confirmed yet.

• Competitive will most likely be first person only.
  • There is an in-game store where you can buy weapons & items for cash you gain during rounds. (Items in this store and prices are totally not final so don't get confused by the video)
  • It will most likely be 2 teams of 5 players.
  • There will most likely not be an inventory. Items will not drop and you won't be able to drop items for your friend or drop items upon death.
  • You will be able to spectate team members once you die. You will not be able to control the camera. We are considering making it so you spectate them in first person. You can only do this if you die during a round.
  • There won't be any zombies or vehicles.
  • You will be able to join back when you crash from a game. We haven't decided any timers here so for now you'll be able to join back any time. The game will resume without you if you crash, and when joined back, you will play again in the first round after your return.
  • There will be a ranking/matchmaking system. You will be able to queue up alone, or with friends and it will match you against players of the same skill level.
  • There is a warm-up. Right now we are using the Battle Royale items but we will make separate load-outs for Competitive.

Note that I might have forgotten to write some points here. Expect this thread to be edited/updated if needed.

DEVELOPMENT:
There is a lot of polishing left to do. A lot of smaller things such as crashes, performance, little gameplay tweaks, the in-game store and some final decisions still have to be made but overall the Competitive gamemode is getting there. We aim to have something ready (hopefully) before Christmas but we do not want to make any promises at this point as we made this mistake in the past. Besides that we do not want to stress out development of the gamemode as new things might suddenly jump in. We want to make sure everything is polished and in a state that we as developers are happy with.

Stay tuned for further updates!

Oh, and here is some early screenshots of the map we've been working on:

P78GuXc.jpg

JO3vAon.jpg

fHGgHrz.jpg

Let us know all your feedback and ideas in the comments on this developer blog. And of course if you have any questions feel free to ask them, we will try to answer all of you as best as we can!

Best Regards,

// Sven

// The New Z - Development Team

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

Excuse me if I forgot to address something in this draft.. Expect it to be updated from time to time..

looks fun! Watching the video reminded me of csgo, which is a good thing.

I'm excited now! 

Was deff fun to give this a run through.  Fred you put alot coding work into this my hats off to you.  Looks like it is going to be fun. We need to test this more.

There are 2 BattleRoyals, one more?
Main motive of the player will always jumping That?

Edited by miranda

I have been able to test the competitive mode with you and our streamers, I must say that in my personal opinion it is a great way to play and very fun, being in the first person and with a different dynamic makes the new thing attractive. HYPE <3

7 hours ago, miranda said:

There are 2 BattleRoyals, one more?
Main motive of the player will always jumping That?

What do you mean?

Клон КС где надо прыгать, так долго ждали хоть какие-то известия об этом режиме, а разрабы просто сделали клон КС в которую и так многие смогу поиграть, только без очень плохой механики стрельбы как в этой игре, ну и да в кс тебе не надо постоянно скакать как чёкнутый

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sven said:

What do you mean?

I think competitive in other game mode would be better...
Jumping should not be the main reason for survival

On 12/3/2018 at 6:25 AM, miranda said:

I think competitive in other game mode would be better...
Jumping should not be the main reason for survival

Competitive will be in ANOTHER game mode as a SEPARATE game mode yes.

• Thanks 2

On 12/3/2018 at 8:27 AM, Shterben174 said:

Клон КС где надо прыгать, так долго ждали хоть какие-то известия об этом режиме, а разрабы просто сделали клон КС в которую и так многие смогу поиграть, только без очень плохой механики стрельбы как в этой игре, ну и да в кс тебе не надо постоянно скакать как чёкнутый

you're right

"тебе не надо постоянно скакать как чёкнутый" or kangaroo

If you are in Game mode survival, the players jump very little there

Edited by miranda

1 hour ago, miranda said:

you're right

"тебе не надо постоянно скакать как чёкнутый" or kangaroo

my old topic about it :

Sorry I don't speak Russian so couldn't reply on this comment. Overall I see that it is more something for the game in general and not necessarily about the Competitive game mode.

sorry  sven

The machine translation sometimes does not work properly 

Thanks for new mode, it will be interesting

Edited by miranda

1 hour ago, miranda said:

sorry  sven

The machine translation sometimes does not work properly 

Thanks for new mode, it will be interesting

Don't worry. It's okay. Just wanted to make sure you know / everyone else knows. Any threads or comments in English might not be answered 😛

Thanks for the further feedback!

• Thanks 1

i just want to give a feedback to you guys because i didnt saw a feedback to Competitive yet . so i want to say sry for my english here because its not the best + i know its only an Alpha and i only saw a video but without an feedback you cant improve it so i will start .

1. Fps is not the best idea after we play in ever game mod already TPS(Third-Person)

2. i really dont like the CS:GO buy stuff i mean you are newz why you dont do your own stuff 

3. when i was thinking about competitive i thought it will be like an CW . for now it looks like a Fun mod if you are just 5 ppl

4.my last point is about the no meds and shields . i mean ISS made there own movement with it and now in the competitive its not in i cant understand that .

i want to say in the end that i play newz already before it comes out on steam so i saw and played almost every update that you made + i talk with much ppl that play and played the game and they got all the same opinion just to show you that even ppl who i dont know agree with me i leave you a SS from your discord where i talked with a guy about your Competitive https://gyazo.com/b9bddc2c5a964d33e3a9014f9978bf29

a mod have to approve my massage so you can just read it and if you dont want to have feedback under that post (i can understand it) you can just delete. but pls take care of things that are in this post its not only my opinion .

On 12/3/2018 at 7:27 AM, Shterben174 said:

Кс и NewZ 2 разные игры ЛОЛ :D Прыгать ты о чем ? Тут игра The NewZ