Sign in to follow this  
Twitch djgandalf_

Suggestion for regaining players

15 posts in this topic

During the last week I was often asked, why appearantly so many people would be quitting NewZ. In this regard and because of the fact, that I also have such a feeling, I started to make a suggestion and give a clearer feedback concerning the issue of quitting players from my point of view.

Personally, I also find it extremely difficult to win back people. One would first have to be clear that it has so many causes when people quit or rather do not even start or play only 2-3 days.

1. The game is anything but beginner friendly

Once a player wants to enter NewZ, he must firstly recognize the purpose of the game, that is, looting, building up a GI, and possibly trading. In my opinion, this is still relatively easy, but some fail already here. After that, players have to find their way around a complicated server system; so what is happening then?

They often end up on a server that does not meet their expectations and they mostly get fucked up (Rocky PvP). For many it is already over here.

Now the new complex PvP System comes to the new players, who have to get along in PvP. Here you have the General Peaking (left and right), the Shield Peaking, Sniper Shooting with paying attention to the Milldots, for the players extremely complex macro system with Fast Heal and Fast Shield Place and AR Shooting (the latter no problem).

If the new player passed this hurdle as well, he will probably stay in NewZ.

2. One gets disappointed by "false or rather false promises"

Players want to see a game evolving constantly. NewZ also does that in my opinion; just in the wrong areas. You put a lot of work into wrong things that do not give the game a push in general. Examples of this would be the release of the Oregon Map (not well received, simply too big), the release of skins (nice thing and it certainly pushes, but again absolutely unnecessary for the beginner branch, as they can not afford it anyway ), the remnant of popular PvP maps (Smallville and Spring Valley V2), the wiping of massive gear (Sniper Wipe 2016, so many players were taken away the pleasure for playing) and last but not least the competitive mode, which has been promised for over a year but never came in.

3. Players can only measure each other to a limited extent

Cue here was the competitive mode. I think I do not have to explain that more precisely. However, one can observe that many established players compete in cups and tournaments. I am currently in the process of making a cup myself and have enlisted as many as 15 teams. This is not only well-received regionally, but also internationally. Until a fixed CM has not been released, Cups are a great way to keep up the motivation for Newz gaming with established players.

4. The game is maybe too dominated by clans (also nothing for the beginner branch and budding solo players)

Hereby I suggest the following things, in order to make the game possibly more beginner friendly and more attractive:

- Beginning to strike the sense behind the game by giving ingame hints and tutorials (probably that should be done by YT partners as well)

- Explaining the PvP system as well (see above)

- To simplify the PvP system a bit (prohibit macros again)

- Innovating patches meaningful and maybe releasing a new big bang (Oregon was anything but that)

- Finally bringing out the competitive mode

- Significantly simplifying trading (keyword auction house on the Tradelounge, saves a lot of effort and time)

- Stay tuned to the skin stuff

-Support Cups and Tournaments more and possibly from official side so that there is maybe one official one in cooperation with partners

every single month

Thank you guys for reading. I also want to add that I personally like to play NewZ at all. It is a Game that definetely has a lot of potencial but sometimes I also have to give a negative feedback because everything cant be perfect but maybe we can improve some things together.

Thank you guys! :D

• Thanks 1

If they want to bring more players to newz they'd have to advertise more, speacially on steam. But before that, they better make good conditions for beginners like you said above and fix the game.

As new players join, they should only be allowed to play on beginner and private servers until they reach 48 gameplay hours. And have a choice to either play on a PVE or PVP server. Once they have played for 48 hours, everything else should be unlocked.

Beginners' servers, should have tips, missions and events popping often, so new players can learn as fast as possible and be prepared later on.

• Thanks 1

Boy I already mentioned pretty much the same. You are 100% right with what you say. Coming into this game solo with no experience is pain. I would not want to play it. 

A smoother entry is necessary for players to stay for longer than a few hours, because the game only becomes better after that. It is just too hard as there are no tutorials and PVP is a huge cockblock because you pretty much get thrown into the heat of 10v10 clan battles with no chance at all.

• Thanks 1

This game has tried hard to RETAIN players, but this is unfortunately going to end in a slow death eventually. People leave, thats perfectly normal especially in video games. You can only do so much and make sure you giving them as less reason as possible.

A healthy game needs new players and those have a really hard time here. Fresh blood can revive pvp, open new opportunities etc.

The key to most issues we (the game) have right now is the lack of playerbase. Empty servers, BRs taking too long to start, Big maps without pvp, dead maps etc...

Of course marketing might be an issue and the bad reputation of this game certainly does not help, but creating an easy entry might help. I assume right now 1 out of 10 new starters stays with the game (at max). I do not have the data but the number is reasonable given all the issues mentioned above. Changes are needed...

- Beginner Servers certainly help

- Missions will help as well as the offer achievable goals. Maybe we need a beginner questline, that teaches the basics

- Tutorials and Guides are completly missing. How is a single fresh starter supposed to know about all the tricks, how and where to go? They are just food at thispoint

- The Wiki-Page needs more love and attention

- Maybe the servers need to be divided differently with some only accessible to low ranks

- The game needs gameplay outside of the clan-pvp or heavy loot hoarding that is also easily learnable

<3

I just wonder why are they being so lazy to make another mode, just like survival but harder, with rarer loot and extensive skill tree, basically just like warz used to be.. it's much interesting rather than death match all the time.

29 minutes ago, rdk. said:

I just wonder why are they being so lazy to make another mode, just like survival but harder, with rarer loot and extensive skill tree, basically just like warz used to be.. it's much interesting rather than death match all the time.

You precisely describe survival?

New game-modes are bad as you can not divide the community even further

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Lauchboy said:

You precisely describe survival?

New game-modes are bad as you can not divide the community even further

There's already like 3 or 4 different modes to play on, but they're all based on death match, open world, survival, pvp maps, br, all of it is pure death match. Why can't we have something meaningful?

Like back in the days, players would be scared taking out high tier gear, or be super excited when finding god tier stuff. You know what I mean?

• Thanks 1

- Reward to those who bring friends with him to play the NewZ (5 friends = 700gc to create clan and rent private server for example) - that is also good for marketing

- log-in daily to forums to earn 5k exp + 25k gd - also good for marketing + raises people awareness and gives 150% more feedback

- its a survival game - increase the survival side for the better - pvp side is already taken care of (crafting bonfires / ammo / etc should be reasonable) (add items that can be aquired only by crafting and players actually need those items)

- improve zombies (if not possible just add different skins to zombies) and make zombies stronger, 20% hp per hit, 30% chance of infection - at the moment zombies dont affect gameplay

- add different zombies (night zombies with red glowing eyes / toxic zombies with green eyes) require 5 headshots to kill for example

- missions - thats spot on here, I suggested it 1+ year ago but you did it, this is something that many specially PvE players will dig

- wheather - this should be added rain/snow/storm whatever, it gives a lot to game like newZ even in its beta stage it would be something players are looking for

- one thing that could really change things here would be auction hous/trader npc - would make survivors life of trading very comfortable (consider it highly because you have multiple language users in Forums + discord/game who cant even speak proper English, now imagine theres 50 of them in your trade lounge who only spam some random shit in their own language and basically waste their time there.

@Sven

I dont play newz anymore but I dont like to see it dying so I try to help.

One thing we will bringing in to help out beginners, which right now IS what we need to do for sure, is the initial missions.

The Mission system is being implemented right now with the central focus on SPECIFICALLY teaching new players how to do basic things and understand mechanics and such. This is an extremely unique game and mechanics and it might be hard for players who haven't played our game or I:SS Classic. 

About the 'promises', I can assure you... We do not make fake promises. The issue is that we are a very small group of developers and that hinders our ability of implementing so many things that we and the community desire. We do have a close relation to the community, closer than any game I have personally ever seen and by far. So we are always trying to get players what they want and that causes us to have to shift our focus from something new (like the Oregon map continuity, which IS something people had asked for) to more complex and direct things that deserve and need to be implemented (like the mission system). 

We will also continue with the cups and tournaments to bring this 'competitiveness' that so many people desire back to the game. I agree with you that right now, it's all about time played rather than ability to define who are the high rep players and that is due to the PvP servers. 

• Cool 1

2 hours ago, ElChupacabra said:

We will also continue with the cups and tournaments to bring this 'competitiveness' that so many people desire back to the game. I agree with you that right now, it's all about time played rather than ability to define who are the high rep players and that is due to the PvP servers. 

Maybe invest some time into PvE events also? 

idea 1:

solo / 5 players on event map for example smallville

hardened zombies (5 headshots with AR/ 10 melee swings to kill) will spawn every 60 seconds (1st wave 50 zombies, 2nd wave 150 zombies 3rd 250 etc)

Agro radius is instant

whoever survives the most waves (with limited equipment ofcourse) wins the prize.

adjust event time to 20min

idea 2:

solo survival on event map for example military base

normal zombies, 1 out of 5 is screamer, every 30 seconds 20 zombies spawn (regular)

food and water decreases drastically from the first minute

players have to find food and water to survive the conditions

only melee weapon is used, after 5th minute, super zombie spawns

or something like that.

On 05/09/2018 at 04:52, ElChupacabra said:

Une des choses que nous apporterons pour aider les débutants, ce qui est maintenant ce dont nous avons besoin, c'est les missions initiales.

Le système de la Mission est actuellement mis en œuvre avec pour objectif principal d'enseigner SPÉCIFIQUEMENT aux nouveaux joueurs comment faire les choses de base et comprendre la mécanique. C'est un jeu et une mécanique extrêmement uniques et il pourrait être difficile pour les joueurs qui n'ont pas joué à notre jeu ou I: SS Classic. 

En ce qui concerne les «promesses», je peux vous assurer que nous ne faisons pas de fausses promesses. Le problème est que nous sommes un très petit groupe de développeurs et que cela entrave notre capacité à mettre en œuvre tant de choses que nous et la communauté souhaitons. Nous avons une relation étroite avec la communauté, plus proche de tous les jeux que j'ai personnellement vus et de loin. Nous essayons donc toujours d’obtenir ce que les joueurs veulent et cela nous oblige à passer de quelque chose de nouveau (comme la continuité de la carte de l’Oregon, qui est quelque chose que les gens ont demandé) à des choses plus complexes et directes qui méritent et doivent être mis en œuvre (comme le système de mission). 

Nous continuerons également avec les coupes et les tournois pour apporter cette «compétitivité» que beaucoup de gens désirent. Je suis d’accord avec vous pour dire qu’à l’heure actuelle, il ne s’agit que de temps de jeu plutôt que de capacité à définir qui sont les joueurs à forte représentation et ce, grâce aux serveurs PvP. 

the player went skin clan no more kappa