Sven

DevBlog #5 (Friend System)

Dear Community,

It's been a while since our last developer blog and even though I (Sven) have been doing some smaller preview videos from time to time we feel like it's important to pick the line back up and share more developer blogs with you all. While developing and managing The New Z input from our community stands central and therefore it's important to sometimes give you guys a heads up about what we're working on to get feedback as early as possible. Our goal is to make more developer blogs, not only videos, where we explain you guys what we're working on and why we're making certain decisions. This developer blog is about the reworked and improved friend system. Now, a lot of people might be like "Why are they wasting their time on this" and I'm sure there also people reading this that already know but just to make everything as clear as possible I want to explain the whole story and decisions we made around the new friend system.

Our initial goal for the past months has always been aimed at our community: "What are current problems and how to fix / improve / prevent those", "What does our community want" and "What can we do to grow our community". Now, over the past months and looking at future plans we always try to mix those things up where we do a little of that, a little of that and a little of that. This time one big thing was the rework and updates of the friend system.

Playing with friends is one of the most important things in games. We think it's important that players have the ability to easily play with their friends without going through too much trouble. At the same time we are an open world online game and it's important for players to easily play with each other. A little bit less than a year ago we introduced the original friend system. Back then the system didn't really had any "function" and at the same time we faced many problems back than resulting in us turning off the whole system from time to time. In the end no one really benefit from it. Players could invite each other as friend but the system didn't really work properly or how we and the players wanted it anyways.

With the new friend system we have reworked and upgraded the entire system. The good thing is that this "project" hasn't taken much of our time and now we're finally at a point where we are more satisfied with the system. A lot of work has been done "behind the scenes" where we've optimized A LOT and at the same time changed the system in a way of where it allows us to keep improving it live, without going through too much trouble. Now, with this new friend system, players can add each other as friend easier and have more options. Here's a short list to give you an idea of the new friend system's features:

• Friend system will work better overall, faster and easier.
  • The system is more advanced. Players can now also invite their friends into a party. By being in a party players can join servers together and spawn together and play together. This goes for all game modes.
  • The party system is advanced. When "accepting" a game players will even be asked what character they want to join with.
  • Players can see in their friends list who's online, offline, playing, playing where and who's idle.
  • Players also have the option to turn on/off if they want to show what server they're in.

We have reworked the friend system not just because we weren't happy with it but it was pretty much useless in the old state. Players weren't really using it and it didn't really "change" much. With the new friend system we will result in:

• IF problems start happening we are able to easier fix them + we will be able to turn on and off the system live.
  • NEW PLAYERS have a huge benefit from this. Learning the game is much easier with friends and this will help them a lot.
  • CURRENT PLAYERS will be able to play much easier with their friends. The system can even be used to "spawn together" because one of the big annoying things in the game right now is that when your friend is playing in Boulder City and you are playing at the airport you would have to go there in your private server first. This whole new system "removes" that because you will be able to spawn in with your friends directly.
  • The system is also made for Battle Royale. This was requested a lot by players and this new friend system allows players to play in groups again in Battle Royale. 
  • The system will be a fundament for other upcoming game modes. When working with lobbies and inviting players/friends it's important players have a way of inviting their friends. This system WAS needed also in our progress to the competitive game mode.

There might be stuff that we forgot to explain / address and therefor we recommend you to watch the video below where you can see a little bit how the system will work and looks:

Also, keep in mind that this is work in development so things you read / hear might change towards the patch. Keep an eye out for the upcoming patch notes where we will explain everything simpler and again.

Thanks for reading this developer blog! See you all in the next one!

// Sven

// The New Z - Staff Team

• Thanks 1
  • Love 3

Congratulations on revamping the friend system. It will be a great asset to those that use it.

However, this does not address the problem with the current group invite system. I like to play my games solo. As I'm sure so do many other players. This brings the issue of why there are still no limits to the amount and timing of unnecessary and unwanted group invites. Time and again over past couple weeks, there are players that use the group invite to torture and harass others to the point where I, for one, am ready to stop playing. Whenever I encounter a player that utilizes the group invite as a weapon. Granted, a lot of the invites are one time only. It's those other times where you can receive 10-15 or more rapid fire invites. And then sometimes taunting messages are sent. The constant chirping sound makes it next to impossible to hear what is going on around you. This holds true mostly to PvE servers as I don't like playing PvP. I'm sure it can also be extremely annoying on the PvP servers. Every time this occurs, I send in a harassment report, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.  (I might add that a lot of the newer players do not know that there is even a report feature.) I try to help the newer players but alas, as soon as you try to help, the group invites begin so I've been remaining quiet. (Another detrimental aspect of the rapid fire invites.)

I have tried to address this issue in the past, only to be told that nothing can be done about it. If you are not going to put a time limit on the invites that one person can send to another, at least rework the mute function to allow you to mute the most annoying of these players. As it stands now, the mute feature only mutes voice chat. That can be handled easy enough buy changing the settings in the options menu. (I have the VOIP turned off. Players also abuse that function by: making random noises, sounds, playing music, and just generally making a nuisance of themselves. but having the ability to turn it off allows me to play with relative peace and quiet.)

Fix the group invite system to either limit the ability to rapid fire invites just to be annoying, or allow us to mute the offending player permanently. It would make the whole environment better for everybody.

Another type of harassment that goes on, and I'm not sure what to do about this one, is the fact that some players, who think they area they are in belongs to only them, constantly attack you with either a melee weapon, or shooting you from a distance. (The shooting is annoying but not near as bad as being attacked with a melee weapon for no reason other than to drive you from a place you are in.)

You could also be more attentive to the harassment complaints about these issues and at least have a chat with those that abuse what should be very valuable tools to play the game. PLEASE!! Don't let the few culprits that abuse the game ruin it for those of us that enjoy playing. You've done a fantastic job of keeping hackers and cheaters out of the game environment. Let's do something about the harassment and abuse of other players. (maybe having moderators would help curb these issues.)

Thanks for keeping the game going. I look forward to the winter season to see what you, the developers, have up your sleeves. This has been my 2¢ worth.

I hope you all Have a Nice Day!!! B|

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CampersRUs said:

Congratulations on revamping the friend system. It will be a great asset to those that use it.

However, this does not address the problem with the current group invite system. I like to play my games solo. As I'm sure so do many other players. This brings the issue of why there are still no limits to the amount and timing of unnecessary and unwanted group invites. Time and again over past couple weeks, there are players that use the group invite to torture and harass others to the point where I, for one, am ready to stop playing. Whenever I encounter a player that utilizes the group invite as a weapon. Granted, a lot of the invites are one time only. It's those other times where you can receive 10-15 or more rapid fire invites. And then sometimes taunting messages are sent. The constant chirping sound makes it next to impossible to hear what is going on around you. This holds true mostly to PvE servers as I don't like playing PvP. I'm sure it can also be extremely annoying on the PvP servers. Every time this occurs, I send in a harassment report, but that doesn't seem to make any difference.  (I might add that a lot of the newer players do not know that there is even a report feature.) I try to help the newer players but alas, as soon as you try to help, the group invites begin so I've been remaining quiet. (Another detrimental aspect of the rapid fire invites.)

I have tried to address this issue in the past, only to be told that nothing can be done about it. If you are not going to put a time limit on the invites that one person can send to another, at least rework the mute function to allow you to mute the most annoying of these players. As it stands now, the mute feature only mutes voice chat. That can be handled easy enough buy changing the settings in the options menu. (I have the VOIP turned off. Players also abuse that function by: making random noises, sounds, playing music, and just generally making a nuisance of themselves. but having the ability to turn it off allows me to play with relative peace and quiet.)

Fix the group invite system to either limit the ability to rapid fire invites just to be annoying, or allow us to mute the offending player permanently. It would make the whole environment better for everybody.

Another type of harassment that goes on, and I'm not sure what to do about this one, is the fact that some players, who think they area they are in belongs to only them, constantly attack you with either a melee weapon, or shooting you from a distance. (The shooting is annoying but not near as bad as being attacked with a melee weapon for no reason other than to drive you from a place you are in.)

You could also be more attentive to the harassment complaints about these issues and at least have a chat with those that abuse what should be very valuable tools to play the game. PLEASE!! Don't let the few culprits that abuse the game ruin it for those of us that enjoy playing. You've done a fantastic job of keeping hackers and cheaters out of the game environment. Let's do something about the harassment and abuse of other players. (maybe having moderators would help curb these issues.)

Thanks for keeping the game going. I look forward to the winter season to see what you, the developers, have up your sleeves. This has been my 2¢ worth.

I hope you all Have a Nice Day!!! B|

We are most liky going to disable the invite sound, as grouping ingame will be less of a thing to do after this patch. As for PVE server I supose you’rel talking about, A good solution would be removing the target from player to player, in other words, have the bullets and melee go straight through you, as if you where not there, in PVE servers only.

What do you think about these possible solutions?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fredaikis said:

We are most liky going to disable the invite sound, as grouping ingame will be less of a thing to do after this patch. As for PVE server I supose you’rel talking about, A good solution would be removing the target from player to player, in other words, have the bullets and melee go straight through you, as if you where not there, in PVE servers only.

Fred,

I think those are the perfect solutions to the problems I addressed. Thank you for your quick response. It is very much appreciated. With those changes, the game will become much more enjoyable for Everybody. I look forward to a time when these changes can take affect. But, first things first. Let's get through the upcoming patch.

As always, much respect for you and the entire development team. I wish you all to... Have a Very Nice Day!!! B|

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bravodog said:

I guess I have been married to long because the sound doesn't bother me, I just turn on the marriage selective hearing and block it out lol

LOL

Maybe 2 weeks ago I suggested this as it is something that is fairly lowkey and common in Battlefield since BC days and has made life so much simpler,  there was so much angst about about it,  now it looks like people are going to enjoy it.  I am happy about this update,  think it fixes what was a rather lame buddy system.

+1 to the team,  keep on bringing those updates.

15 hours ago, Fredaikis said:

That sounds like an excellent idea no more invite sounds, if you could do something about the text spam like allowing us to block those players completely even better

5 minutes ago, 135814n said:

That sounds like an excellent idea no more invite sounds, if you could do something about the text spam like allowing us to block those players completely even better

We'll see what we can do!

2 hours ago, jewdiciousorange said:

Maybe 2 weeks ago I suggested this as it is something that is fairly lowkey and common in Battlefield since BC days and has made life so much simpler,  there was so much angst about about it,  now it looks like people are going to enjoy it.  I am happy about this update,  think it fixes what was a rather lame buddy system.

+1 to the team,  keep on bringing those updates.

Thanks for the heads up and the support! Keep it up and so will we! Cheers!

Sven I have really enjoyed the Autumn season skin box hunt has really made the game more interesting just as I was about to go back to War Thunder you came up with a reason to stay, Any chance there is going to be a winter skin box hunt ?

it would be better if you change the beginning of the battle royale.. like in PUBG people ride airplane and we will choose where we land.. not like we spawn in the center,, so that we can use the map better,, you cant explore the map because some places its too far..

13 hours ago, Bravodog said:

I guess I have been married to long because the sound doesn't bother me, I just turn on the marriage selective hearing and block it out lol

I guess I've been a born again bachelor for too long. My marriage selective hearing system is busted. xD

Have a Nice Day!!! B|

On 12/5/2017 at 4:34 PM, Vintorez said:

@135814n Last year there was Winter loot boxes so I think it is safe to assume they will see a return this year too. :)

Depends. Can not confirm anything yet. We'll see where we get. Keep an eye out for next patch notes though! :D

59 minutes ago, kamo said:

Great job guys, Im just worried that people gonna abuse friend system to teleport from looting location to safe zone in survival mode

Good point!! Thanks for this. We'll see what we do about it!

• Love 1